The Thai Province
In 1901, five Brothers of St. Gabriel arrived in Thailand to take charge of Assumption College (established in 1885). They had been invited by Father Emile Colombet.
These five Brothers were: Brother Martin de Tours, Abel, Gabriel Ferretti, Auguste, and Hilaire. They were chosen among the many who has volunteered for this mission. They sailed from Marseilles on the steamer Amazon and landed in Bangkok on October 20, 1901.
Many other Brothers have followed their example also volunteering to come to Thailand and the list has reached the number of 94, among them, 52 Frenchmen, 28 Spaniards, 11 Indians, 2 Canadians and 1 Italian.
Assumption College was followed by St. Gabriel’s college (1920)
St. Paul’s Petrieu (which in 1948 became Saint Louis)
Montfort College in Chiangmai (1932)
And Assumption Commercial College (1939)
A few years before World War II, three Brothers were sent to Singapore to start an ‘International’ novitiate for Asia and to be in charge of vocational school at Bukit Timah. Not long after this establishment, the Brothers were asked to take charge of a school which had been built by the parish priest of Sarangoon.
After the opening of the Juniorate at Sriracha in 1948, and the help we received from India in the formation of our native Brothers in their novitiate, new schools were opened and we now have these addition Institutions:
The Provincial House
Assumption Samut Prakarn
Assumption Technical School
There are three house of Formation
Saint Gabriel’s Scholasticate
Saint Louis Mary’s Juniorate
De Montfort Novitiate